Nation celebrates Eid-ul-Fitr
New Delhi: India is celebrating Eid on Wednesday after the moon was sighted, marking the end of the month of fasting during Ramzan.
As per tradition, the morning of the Eid would see the faithful engaged in prayers, and giving alms to the poor. After the feast in the noon, many would spend the day visiting relatives or attending prayers in mosques in the evening.
Wishing all `Eid Mubarak`, President Patil said the festival "brings joy and happiness on the culmination of the month of Holy Ramzan, a period of fasting, prayer and charity."
"May this festival strengthen mutual goodwill and inspire each one of us to follow the path of love, friendship and harmony," she said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the festival of Eid highlights the spirit of sacrifice and the joy of sharing. "The celebrations marking the end of the Ramzan fasting foster peace and harmony and reflect the true spirit of our composite culture."
"May the festival spread peace, tolerance and harmony among all," Manmohan Singh said. Vice President Ansari said the festival is celebrated with traditional gaiety, expression of brotherhood and understanding across the country.
"The fasting observed during Ramzan reaffirms the spirit of charity and generosity and highlights the feelings of empathy." "May the noble ideals of EId-ul-Fitr enrich our lives with peace, prosperity and harmony and unite us all in the spirit of universal brotherhood of all humanity," he added.
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan tweeted, "Eid Mubarrak to all brothers and sisters, young and old, near and dear...!! Happy greetings for EID ! May there be peace and love among all... and may all your wishes come true."
"Eid Mubarak to all," actress Bipasha Basu wrote on the micro-blogging site. Akshay Kumar tweeted, "Eid Mubarak to all regardless of those celebrating it today or tomorrow. May all your fasting, prayers and duaa`s be accepted. And don`t forget my Eidi, your never ending love."
"Eid Mubarak to all who are celebrating today! May the blessings of Allah fill your life with joy and prosperity!," wrote Vivek Oberoi. Actor Boman Irani and singer Sunidhi Chauhan also wished `Eid Mubarak`, while actress Shriya Saran said, "Excited for EID. Wanna eat haleem and biryani."
Parliament will have a two-day holiday from today on account of Eid-ul-Fitr and Ganesh Chaturthi. Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha will now meet on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog