Nation celebrates Guru Nanak Jayanti
New Delhi: Guru Nanak Jayanti, the birthday of Guru Nanak Devji, is being celebrated on Sunday with religious zeal and gaiety across the country.
President Pratibha Devisingh Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh have greeted the people on the occasion.
In her message, the President called upon the people to put in practice Guru Nanak`s teachings of peace, harmony and compassion in their daily lives.
Hamid Ansari in his message said that Guru Nanak Devji has been apostle of universal love, piety and spiritual faith and his divine teachings guide the people on the path of social harmony and unity.
In his message, Dr Singh said that by following the teachings of Guru Nanakji, the world can overcome differences and work together to fight ignorance, poverty, hunger and disease.
The anniversaries of Sikh Gurus are known as Gurpurabs (festivals), and celebrated by Sikhs with devotion.
Gurpurabs mark the culmination of Prabhat Pheris, the early morning procession that starts from the gurdwaras and then goes around localities singing shabads (hymns).
The celebrations also include the three-day Akhand path, during which the Guru Granth Sahib is read continuously, from beginning to end without a break.
On the day of the festival, the Granth Sahib is also carried in a procession on a float, decorated with flowers, throughout a village or city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state