Nation celebrates Guru Nanak Jayanti
New Delhi: Guru Nanak Jayanti, the birthday of Guru Nanak Devji, is being celebrated on Sunday with religious zeal and gaiety across the country.
President Pratibha Devisingh Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh have greeted the people on the occasion.
In her message, the President called upon the people to put in practice Guru Nanak`s teachings of peace, harmony and compassion in their daily lives.
Hamid Ansari in his message said that Guru Nanak Devji has been apostle of universal love, piety and spiritual faith and his divine teachings guide the people on the path of social harmony and unity.
In his message, Dr Singh said that by following the teachings of Guru Nanakji, the world can overcome differences and work together to fight ignorance, poverty, hunger and disease.
The anniversaries of Sikh Gurus are known as Gurpurabs (festivals), and celebrated by Sikhs with devotion.
Gurpurabs mark the culmination of Prabhat Pheris, the early morning procession that starts from the gurdwaras and then goes around localities singing shabads (hymns).
The celebrations also include the three-day Akhand path, during which the Guru Granth Sahib is read continuously, from beginning to end without a break.
On the day of the festival, the Granth Sahib is also carried in a procession on a float, decorated with flowers, throughout a village or city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas