Nation celebrates Guru Nanak Jayanti
New Delhi: Guru Nanak Jayanti, the birthday of Guru Nanak Devji, is being celebrated on Sunday with religious zeal and gaiety across the country.
President Pratibha Devisingh Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh have greeted the people on the occasion.
In her message, the President called upon the people to put in practice Guru Nanak`s teachings of peace, harmony and compassion in their daily lives.
Hamid Ansari in his message said that Guru Nanak Devji has been apostle of universal love, piety and spiritual faith and his divine teachings guide the people on the path of social harmony and unity.
In his message, Dr Singh said that by following the teachings of Guru Nanakji, the world can overcome differences and work together to fight ignorance, poverty, hunger and disease.
The anniversaries of Sikh Gurus are known as Gurpurabs (festivals), and celebrated by Sikhs with devotion.
Gurpurabs mark the culmination of Prabhat Pheris, the early morning procession that starts from the gurdwaras and then goes around localities singing shabads (hymns).
The celebrations also include the three-day Akhand path, during which the Guru Granth Sahib is read continuously, from beginning to end without a break.
On the day of the festival, the Granth Sahib is also carried in a procession on a float, decorated with flowers, throughout a village or city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued