Nation celebrates Guru Nanak’s birth anniversary
New Delhi: The birthday of Guru Nanak Devji- the founder of the Sikh religion- is being celebrated across the country on Thursday.
Today is the 543rd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev- the first Guru of the Sikhs. Guru Nanak was born in 1469 in the present Shekhupura district of Pakistan.
President Pratibha Patil on Wednesday greeted the nation saying, “On the auspicious occasion of the birthday of Guru Nanak Devji, I extend my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens."
"May all of us strive to practice the revered Guru`s noble teachings in our daily lives and strengthen the bonds of unity and oneness in our society," she said.
Vice President Hamid Ansari also extended his greetings.
In his message, Ansari said, "The divine teachings of Guru Nanak Devji contain the message of peace, harmony and righteousness. On this joyous occasion let us follow his ideals of humanism and social equality that inspire us to move towards a peaceful and just society."
Meanwhile, about 8,000 Sikh pilgrims from various countries, including India, Afghanistan and Britain, have arrived in Pakistan to join celebrations marking the 543rd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak.
Among the `yatris` or pilgrims are over 3,000 Sikhs from India who travelled across the border in three special trains.
The pilgrims will visit Nankana Sahib, Gurdwara Panja Sahib at Hasanaadal, Dera Sahib and other holy sites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack