Nation celebrates Guru Nanak’s birth anniversary
New Delhi: The birthday of Guru Nanak Devji- the founder of the Sikh religion- is being celebrated across the country on Thursday.
Today is the 543rd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev- the first Guru of the Sikhs. Guru Nanak was born in 1469 in the present Shekhupura district of Pakistan.
President Pratibha Patil on Wednesday greeted the nation saying, “On the auspicious occasion of the birthday of Guru Nanak Devji, I extend my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens."
"May all of us strive to practice the revered Guru`s noble teachings in our daily lives and strengthen the bonds of unity and oneness in our society," she said.
Vice President Hamid Ansari also extended his greetings.
In his message, Ansari said, "The divine teachings of Guru Nanak Devji contain the message of peace, harmony and righteousness. On this joyous occasion let us follow his ideals of humanism and social equality that inspire us to move towards a peaceful and just society."
Meanwhile, about 8,000 Sikh pilgrims from various countries, including India, Afghanistan and Britain, have arrived in Pakistan to join celebrations marking the 543rd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak.
Among the `yatris` or pilgrims are over 3,000 Sikhs from India who travelled across the border in three special trains.
The pilgrims will visit Nankana Sahib, Gurdwara Panja Sahib at Hasanaadal, Dera Sahib and other holy sites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead