Nation celebrates Holi, President, PM greet people
New Delhi: The nation on Wednesday celebrated Holi with people greeting each other with colours and sweets.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi greeted people on Holi and expressed hope that the festival of colours will strengthen faith in national values and promote oneness and harmony.
"On the joyous occasion of Holi, I convey my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen. This festival which marks the advent of spring, is a harbinger of joy, hope and fulfilment for all," the President said in his greetings.
"The myriad colours of Holi are a reflection of our diversity and multi-cultural heritage. May this festival of colours strengthen faith in our cherished national values and promote oneness, harmony and the good of all," he said in a Rashtrapati Bhawan statement.
The Prime Minister said the festival of colours is celebration of "life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood."
In his message, the Prime Minister said the festival also marks the advent of spring, ushering in new hope for a brighter future.
"May the festival bring in peace, happiness and prosperity to all," the Prime Minister said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi, in her message said, Holi has a special significance in our centuries-old cultural heritage which promotes social harmony and brotherhood.
"I extend my heartiest good wishes to all our countrymen on the occasion of Holi," she said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report