Nation celebrates Holi, President, PM greet people
New Delhi: The nation on Wednesday celebrated Holi with people greeting each other with colours and sweets.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi greeted people on Holi and expressed hope that the festival of colours will strengthen faith in national values and promote oneness and harmony.
"On the joyous occasion of Holi, I convey my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen. This festival which marks the advent of spring, is a harbinger of joy, hope and fulfilment for all," the President said in his greetings.
"The myriad colours of Holi are a reflection of our diversity and multi-cultural heritage. May this festival of colours strengthen faith in our cherished national values and promote oneness, harmony and the good of all," he said in a Rashtrapati Bhawan statement.
The Prime Minister said the festival of colours is celebration of "life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood."
In his message, the Prime Minister said the festival also marks the advent of spring, ushering in new hope for a brighter future.
"May the festival bring in peace, happiness and prosperity to all," the Prime Minister said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi, in her message said, Holi has a special significance in our centuries-old cultural heritage which promotes social harmony and brotherhood.
"I extend my heartiest good wishes to all our countrymen on the occasion of Holi," she said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured