Nation celebrates Lord Rama`s b`day with fervour
New Delhi: Faithful thronged temples since
daybreak as special prayers and dips in sacred rivers marked
Ram Navmi, the birthday of Lord Rama, celebrated across the
country today with religious fervour and gaiety.
Amid blowing of conch shells and rendering of devotional
songs, devotees offered prayers at illuminated temples as huge
posse of policemen stood guard outside the shrines.
In holy city Haridwar in Uttarakhand, tens of thousands
of people took dips in surging waters of river Ganges and paid
obeisance at temples amid tight security.
The national capital saw devotees, carrying offerings
to deities, flocking to decorated temples since dawn to offer
In Ayodhya, pilgrims took dips in holy Saryu river and
thronged temples where special prayers were held at mid-day
when Lord Rama was supposed to have born.
Door-frame metal detectors were set up at some places
as authorities beefed up security in the city.
In Jammu, the city of temples, a large number of
people offered prayers at the famous Raghunath temple.
In neighbouring Srinagar, prayers were held in temples
across the Valley with devotees seeking blessings of Lord Rama
and praying for return of peace in the troubled region.
Setting a shining example of communal harmony, Muslims
came forward to help Hindu devotees who descended on the town
from different parts of the country.
"We arranged drinking water and first aid at various
places for devotees," said Haji Asad, a corporator from
The President, the Vice-President, the Prime Minister
and a host of leaders greeted the people on the occasion of
In their messages, they hoped the festival would
"inspire all of us to serve humanity with dedication and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!