Nation lost chance to show solidarity with tribals: PA Sangma
New Delhi: While congratulating the next President of India, the losing candidate PA Sangma said that there should be a code of conduct in Presidential Election.
“I congratulate Pranab Mukherjee. I also consider it an honour to have been considered as a candidate for the Presidential candidate.” Sangma particularly thanked Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa who had first floated his name.
Accepting defeat Sangma said, “I might have lost the election but the nation has also lost an opportunity of showing solidarity to the tribals.”
While suggesting measures for the future Presidential election, Sangma said, “The President is said to be above party and politics but the process of election is not." The NDA candidate said that there should be a code of conduct for the election to the top post of the country.
Sangma also said, in what may be considered ungracious in defeat, “The UPA did not build consensus. The government gave economic packages to various states to woo them.” He also said that threats like court cases were given to garner votes for Pranab.
He cited the cases of financial packages doled out to states like Bihar and UP to substantiate his claims.
To a query on why he did not get enough votes in the tribal areas, Sangma said,” The people of North-East can no longer afford to stand on their own feet. They are 100% dependent on the Centre for financial package. They are losing their identity which is a worrisome trend.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured