Nation lost chance to show solidarity with tribals: PA Sangma
New Delhi: While congratulating the next President of India, the losing candidate PA Sangma said that there should be a code of conduct in Presidential Election.
“I congratulate Pranab Mukherjee. I also consider it an honour to have been considered as a candidate for the Presidential candidate.” Sangma particularly thanked Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa who had first floated his name.
Accepting defeat Sangma said, “I might have lost the election but the nation has also lost an opportunity of showing solidarity to the tribals.”
While suggesting measures for the future Presidential election, Sangma said, “The President is said to be above party and politics but the process of election is not." The NDA candidate said that there should be a code of conduct for the election to the top post of the country.
Sangma also said, in what may be considered ungracious in defeat, “The UPA did not build consensus. The government gave economic packages to various states to woo them.” He also said that threats like court cases were given to garner votes for Pranab.
He cited the cases of financial packages doled out to states like Bihar and UP to substantiate his claims.
To a query on why he did not get enough votes in the tribal areas, Sangma said,” The people of North-East can no longer afford to stand on their own feet. They are 100% dependent on the Centre for financial package. They are losing their identity which is a worrisome trend.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian Premier League: List of players bought by franchises at Saturday's auction
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode