Nation needs special `change`: RSS on `Modi as PM`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The country needs a special form of change/transformation, is what the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) has told the Bharatiya Janata Party (RSS).
Amid talks that the BJP is gearing up to name Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate, the message was conveyed by Sangh representatives at their two-day meeting with the national party, RSS spokesperson Ram Madhav tweeted Tuesday morning.
Reports had claimed yesterday that the RSS and the BJP appeared to have reached a consensus on projecting Modi as the PM candidate and a meeting of BJP`s highest decision-making body Parliamentary Board is expected next week to make the announcement.
Reports added the decision to formally declare Modi`s candidature is understood to have been taken despite reservations of senior BJP leaders LK Advani and Sushma Swaraj, who wanted the announcement, at least, to be postponed till after the Assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Delhi.
After the two-day meeting of the top leadership of the RSS and the BJP which was also attended by leaders of 13 affiliates of the Sangh Parivar like the VHP, there were indications that a go-ahead has been given for projecting the Gujarat Chief Minister and the decision will be announced by BJP by September 19.
RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat and VHP leader Praveen Togadia attended the meeting on Monday, while Modi and Advani attended the meeting on Sunday.
Sources said BJP is expected to convene a meeting of the Parliamentary Board sometime between September 13 and 19 to take a final call on the PM candidate issue.
Reports that Modi and other Parliamentary Board members will be in Delhi on September 14 has led to murmurs that the meeting may be convened on that day. Modi will address a BJP rally in Rewari, Haryana the next day.
However, if the Board is not able to meet on September 14, it is likely to meet before September 20 when the inauspicious `pitrapaksh` period starts.
Efforts are reportedly underway to ensure that the announcement coincides with Modi`s birthday on September 17.
In a bid to convince Advani and Swaraj, RSS General Secretary Suresh `Bhaiyya ji` Joshi had met them separately last week. This was followed by a dinner meeting among Bhagwat, Advani and Swaraj.
On Saturday last, Vaidya had said RSS has already made its position clear on the key issue and it was for BJP to take a decision.
"The Sangh has already made its position clear. Sangh has already informed the party. The party knows it. It is for the party to decide who to declare and when to decide so. I will not say this here," Vaidya had said on projection of Modi as BJP`s PM candidate.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon