Nation pays homage to Babu Jagjivan Ram
New Delhi: The nation paid homage to veteran freedom fighter and former deputy prime minister Babu Jagjivan Ram on his 105th birth anniversary on Thursday.
The day is also observed as Samta Diwas.
Babu Jagjivan Ram was a freedom fighter and a social reformer hailing from the Bihar’s Scheduled Caste community.
He was instrumental in founding of the ‘All-India Depressed Classes League’, an organisation dedicated to attaining equality for untouchables, in 1935 and was elected to Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1937.
A prayer meeting followed by a memorial lecture by Nobel Peace Prize winner Tawakkol Karman of Yemen has been organised to mark the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries