Nation pays homage to Babu Jagjivan Ram
New Delhi: The nation paid homage to veteran freedom fighter and former deputy prime minister Babu Jagjivan Ram on his 105th birth anniversary on Thursday.
The day is also observed as Samta Diwas.
Babu Jagjivan Ram was a freedom fighter and a social reformer hailing from the Bihar’s Scheduled Caste community.
He was instrumental in founding of the ‘All-India Depressed Classes League’, an organisation dedicated to attaining equality for untouchables, in 1935 and was elected to Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1937.
A prayer meeting followed by a memorial lecture by Nobel Peace Prize winner Tawakkol Karman of Yemen has been organised to mark the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31