Nation pays homage to Babu Jagjivan Ram
New Delhi: The nation paid homage to veteran freedom fighter and former deputy prime minister Babu Jagjivan Ram on his 105th birth anniversary on Thursday.
The day is also observed as Samta Diwas.
Babu Jagjivan Ram was a freedom fighter and a social reformer hailing from the Bihar’s Scheduled Caste community.
He was instrumental in founding of the ‘All-India Depressed Classes League’, an organisation dedicated to attaining equality for untouchables, in 1935 and was elected to Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1937.
A prayer meeting followed by a memorial lecture by Nobel Peace Prize winner Tawakkol Karman of Yemen has been organised to mark the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened