Nation pays homage to Babu Jagjivan Ram
New Delhi: The nation paid homage to veteran freedom fighter and former deputy prime minister Babu Jagjivan Ram on his 105th birth anniversary on Thursday.
The day is also observed as Samta Diwas.
Babu Jagjivan Ram was a freedom fighter and a social reformer hailing from the Bihar’s Scheduled Caste community.
He was instrumental in founding of the ‘All-India Depressed Classes League’, an organisation dedicated to attaining equality for untouchables, in 1935 and was elected to Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1937.
A prayer meeting followed by a memorial lecture by Nobel Peace Prize winner Tawakkol Karman of Yemen has been organised to mark the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'