Nation pays homage to Charan Singh on 26th death anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Wednesday paid homage to former prime minister of India, Chaudhary Charan Singh, on his 26th death anniversary.
Eminent leaders and dignitaries paid floral tributes to him at his memorial, Kishan Ghat in the national capital.
A series of functions have been organised in memory of Chaudhary Charan Singh.
Chaudhary Charan Singh was the fifth prime minister of India, serving from July 28, 1979 until January 14, 1980.
Born into a Jat family in 1902, Charan Singh entered politics as part of the independence movement. After independence, he became particularly notable in the 1950s for opposing former PM Jawaharlal Nehru`s socialistic land use policies, which endeared him to the agrarian communities particularly in his native Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news