Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on 65th death anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Wednesday paid homage to Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, on his 65th death anniversary.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid floral tribute to Gandhi at his memorial Rajghat.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and a host of other dignitaries also paid tribute to the apostle of peace at his memorial.
A series of functions are being organized throughout the country to mark the occasion.
Mahatma Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869 in Porbandar. A lawyer by profession, Gandhi led the struggle for India`s independence from British rule by following the path of non-violence.
Ironically, Gandhi was shot dead by a Hindu fanatic, Nathuram Godse, at a prayer meeting in Delhi on January 30, 1948, less than a year after India became independent.
Gandhi is venerated throughout India as the ``Father of the Nation``. His statues can be found across the country and nearly every town has at least one street named after him.
India observes Gandhi`s death anniversary as Martyrs` Day in the memory of its freedom fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video