Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on 65th death anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Wednesday paid homage to Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, on his 65th death anniversary.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid floral tribute to Gandhi at his memorial Rajghat.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and a host of other dignitaries also paid tribute to the apostle of peace at his memorial.
A series of functions are being organized throughout the country to mark the occasion.
Mahatma Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869 in Porbandar. A lawyer by profession, Gandhi led the struggle for India`s independence from British rule by following the path of non-violence.
Ironically, Gandhi was shot dead by a Hindu fanatic, Nathuram Godse, at a prayer meeting in Delhi on January 30, 1948, less than a year after India became independent.
Gandhi is venerated throughout India as the ``Father of the Nation``. His statues can be found across the country and nearly every town has at least one street named after him.
India observes Gandhi`s death anniversary as Martyrs` Day in the memory of its freedom fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer