Nation pays homage to martyrs of Parliament attack
New Delhi: Martyrs of 2001 attack on Parliament were remembered on Friday with lawmakers led by Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar paying homage to them on the 12th anniversary of the incident.
Leaders paid their respect both outside and inside Parliament.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, her son and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Leaders of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley respectively and other members attended a solemn ceremony held in the premises of Parliament.
Retired Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar was also present on the occasion.
The leaders observed silence for a while as a mark of respect for the martyrs.
Commenting on the anniversary, Swaraj said this year she was "satisfied that the mastermind of the attacks has already been punished."
BSP supremeo Mayawati said the Government should ensure that all facilities are provided to the kin of martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the country.
Inside the Lok Sabha, the Speaker led the House in remembering the martyrs who lost their lives while preventing the Pakistani terrorists from entering Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence