Nation pays homage to Rajiv Gandhi on 20th death anniversary
New Delhi: The Nation on Saturday paid homage to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi on his 20th death anniversary.
President Pratibha Devisingh Patil, Vice-President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and the departed leader`s widow and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi were among the first to pay floral tribute to the late leader at ``Veer Bhumi``, the memorial of Gandhi.
Children of Gandhis, Congress general secretary Rahul and Priyanka along with her husband Robert Vadra were also present on the occasion.
The day is also observed as Anti-Terrorism Day.
The objective behind the observance of Anti-Terrorism Day is to wean youth away from the terrorist/violence cult by highlighting the suffering of the common people and showing how it is prejudicial to the national interest.
These objectives are aimed to be achieved by organizing debates/discussions in schools, colleges and universities; holding of symposia/seminars and lectures on the dangers of terrorism and violence and a determined and sustained drive to bring about a mass awakening against terrorism and violence.
Voluntary organizations, social and cultural bodies are organising their own programmes through lectures, talks, discussions, musical and recitation programmes and cultural functions.
Mass education programmes are held to highlight the ill effects of violence and terrorism. Anti-terrorism/anti-violence pledge will be taken in all Government offices, public sector undertakings and other public institutions.
Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire