Nation pays homage to Rajiv Gandhi on birth anniv
New Delhi: The nation on Friday paid homage to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi on his 66th birth anniversary.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh paid floral tribute to the former prime minister.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi along with her son and MP Rahul Gandhi reached "Vir Bhumi" to pay their tributes at his memorial.
A series of functions scheduled cross the country to mark the day.
Gandhi`s birth anniversary is observed as "Sadbhavana Diwas" . The theme of "Sadbhavana Diwas" is to promote national integration and communal harmony among people of all religions and languages.
Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu while on a poll campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Posting babies' photos on Facebook put moms at depression risk
- Donald Trump is a joke for America: Chloe Grace Moretz
- Charleston church shooting case: US seeks death penalty for shooter Dylann Roof
- Irregularities in petition to oust Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro
- Alcohol kills an Indian every 96 minutes