Nation pays homage to Rajiv Gandhi on birth anniv
New Delhi: The nation on Friday paid homage to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi on his 66th birth anniversary.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh paid floral tribute to the former prime minister.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi along with her son and MP Rahul Gandhi reached "Vir Bhumi" to pay their tributes at his memorial.
A series of functions scheduled cross the country to mark the day.
Gandhi`s birth anniversary is observed as "Sadbhavana Diwas" . The theme of "Sadbhavana Diwas" is to promote national integration and communal harmony among people of all religions and languages.
Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu while on a poll campaign.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Bangladesh pacer Shahadat Hossain apologizes for torturing 11-year-old girl, asks for end to ban
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's special YOGA session before wedding!
- Vijay Mallya says keen on paying up dues, but Rs 9000 default figure artificially inflated
- Tiananmen activist Lu Jinghua alleges 'India-China economic business deal' behind visa cancellation
- VIDEO: Prepare to laugh - 23 Hilarious Inzamam-ul-Haq run outs!