Nation pays homage to the Mahatma
New Delhi: The nation Monday fondly remembered Mahatma Gandhi on his 64th death anniversary with President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh leading the country in paying homage to the Father of the Nation.
Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Singh paid floral
tributes at Gandhi`s memorial in Rajghat here at a function
organised at 11 AM.
A two-minutes silence in memory of the Father of the
Nation was also observed. A gun salute was also given to the
late Mahatma to honour his contributions to the country.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Defence Minister A K
Antony, senior BJP leader L K Advani, chiefs of three
services, central ministers, leaders of various political
parties and people from different walks of life also paid
tributes to the apostle of peace at his memorial.
A multi-faith prayer service was organised and devotional
songs were sung.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days