Nation pays homage to the Mahatma
New Delhi: The nation Monday fondly remembered Mahatma Gandhi on his 64th death anniversary with President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh leading the country in paying homage to the Father of the Nation.
Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Singh paid floral
tributes at Gandhi`s memorial in Rajghat here at a function
organised at 11 AM.
A two-minutes silence in memory of the Father of the
Nation was also observed. A gun salute was also given to the
late Mahatma to honour his contributions to the country.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Defence Minister A K
Antony, senior BJP leader L K Advani, chiefs of three
services, central ministers, leaders of various political
parties and people from different walks of life also paid
tributes to the apostle of peace at his memorial.
A multi-faith prayer service was organised and devotional
songs were sung.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Indonesian church attacker ''obsessed'' with Islamic State leader: Senior minister
- Suicide bombing kills 11 at Yemen Army camp: Security official
- China's Xi Jinping reshuffles key party posts ahead of congress
- FIR filed against Vishal Dadlani, Tehseen Poonawalla over 'monkery' tweet on Jain religious leader
- Breast cancer breakthrough? 16-year-old Indian-origin boy claims cure for disease