Nation pays tributes to Indira Gandhi on her 95th birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Monday remembered former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 95th birth anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari among prominent leaders who paid homage to the leader.
The leaders offered floral tributes at her memorial Shakti Sthal on the banks of Yamuna.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Union Ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde and Kamal Nath were among those who visited the memorial.
On the occasion, tricolour balloons were released by Mukherjee, Ansari and Sonia.
Patriotic music was also played along with a speech of Indira Gandhi.
Gandhi, who was born on November 19, 1917 in the politically influential Nehru family, was the first woman Prime Minister of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!