Nation pays tributes to Indira Gandhi on her 95th birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Monday remembered former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 95th birth anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari among prominent leaders who paid homage to the leader.
The leaders offered floral tributes at her memorial Shakti Sthal on the banks of Yamuna.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Union Ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde and Kamal Nath were among those who visited the memorial.
On the occasion, tricolour balloons were released by Mukherjee, Ansari and Sonia.
Patriotic music was also played along with a speech of Indira Gandhi.
Gandhi, who was born on November 19, 1917 in the politically influential Nehru family, was the first woman Prime Minister of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- 1st ODI: Azhar Ali's 82 goes in vain as Jason Roy guides England to 44-run win over Pakistan
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!