Nation pays tributes to Indira Gandhi on her 95th birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Monday remembered former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 95th birth anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari among prominent leaders who paid homage to the leader.
The leaders offered floral tributes at her memorial Shakti Sthal on the banks of Yamuna.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Union Ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde and Kamal Nath were among those who visited the memorial.
On the occasion, tricolour balloons were released by Mukherjee, Ansari and Sonia.
Patriotic music was also played along with a speech of Indira Gandhi.
Gandhi, who was born on November 19, 1917 in the politically influential Nehru family, was the first woman Prime Minister of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead