Nation remembers Bapu on 141st birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Saturday paid homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 141st birth anniversary.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice-President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and other leaders offered floral tributes at his memorial "Raj Ghat" here.
A special function will take place at Gandhi Smriti this afternoon, which will include a recital of some of Gandhi`s favourite devotional songs. The Union government has planned a series of other programmes for the occasion.
The birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, popularly known as the ``Father of the Nation``, is celebrated as Gandhi Jayanti on October 2 with reverence all over the country.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, better known as ``Bapu``, or Gandhiji, was born on the October 2 1869, in Porbander, Gujarat.
Gandhiji was a preacher of truth (Satyagraha) and ``ahimsa`` (non-violence). He started the ``Satyagraha`` movement for the Indian freedom struggle. He believed in living a simple life and in ``Swadeshi``.
He proved to the world that freedom can be achieved through the path of non-violence - a true symbol of peace and truth!
The United Nations had declared in 2007 that October 2 would be observed as "International Day of Non-Violence".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre