Nation remembers Gandhi on birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Wednesday remembered Mahatma Gandhi on the occasion of his 144th birth anniversary with top leaders paying floral tributes at his memorial here.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and senior BJP leader L K Advani were among prominent leaders who paid homage to Father of the Nation.
The Congress president was the first to arrive at Rajghat to pay tributes to Mahatma Gandhi followed by BJP leader L K Advani and his daughter Pratibha.
After a while, the Prime Minister arrived at Rajghat and paid floral tributes to the Father of the Nation.
Singh and Sonia greeted each other with folded hands. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit were seated between them.
Other dignitaries who visited Rajghat include Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath, senior Congress Leaders Mani Shankar Aiyar and Manikrao H Gavit among others.
An all-religion prayer was conducted during the ceremony. The favourite hymns of Gandhi were also played on the occasion.
The nation also remembered former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his 109th birth anniversary.
President, Vice President, Prime Minister, Sonia Gandhi, Advani also paid floral tributes to Shastri, who gave the slogan `Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan`, at his memorial at Vijay Ghat.
Shastri`s sons Anil Shastri and Sunil Shastri were also present at the ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site