Nation remembers `Iron Lady` Indira Gandhi
New Delhi: The country fondly remembered former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 27th death anniversary on Monday with President Pratibha Patil leading the
nation in paying rich tributes to the departed leader.
Patil paid floral tributes at Shakti Sthal, the memorial of Gandhi, here this morning.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi were also present on the occasion.
Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna, Union Ministers Vilasrao Deshmukh, Kamal Nath, KV Thomas, N Narayana Swamy and Krishna Tirath and senior Congress leaders Motilal Vohra, Manishankar Aiyar were also present.
Devotional songs were played at the venue as the
dignitaries sat at Shakti Sthal after paying tributes to the
late leader. A speech by Indira Gandhi was also played on the
The former prime minister was assassinated by her
bodyguards on October 31, 1984, the same year when she had
launched `Operation Blue Star` to crush secessionist movement
in Punjab and sent troops into the Golden Temple of Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying