Nation salutes brave martyrs on Kargil Vijay Diwas: Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Defence Minsiter Arun Jaitley and armed forces chiefs paid tribute at the India Gate here to the martyrs who gallantly laid down their life for the nation in the 1999 Kargil conflict with Pakistan.
Jaitley along with Army Chief General Bikram Singh, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha and Chief of the Naval Staff RK Dhowan paid homage to the martyred soldiers at the Amar Jawan Jyoti at the India Gate in the national capital.
"With regard to the war memorial, we have discussed various sites. India needs a war museum and as soon as the details are finalized, we will have to get sactions from all the departments of the government. It will take some time befo0re it`s completed. Whatever funds are required for that purpose, we will make it available," said Jaitley.
He also added that the best site available for the museum will be selected and also said that he may visit a prospective site soon.
Remembering the proud moment of when India won the Kargil War, Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his official twitter account said, "The nation salutes these brave martyrs."
Here`s what PMO tweeted:
We remember the indomitable courage & sacrifice of our Armed Forces on Kargil Vijay Diwas. The nation salutes these brave martyrs.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 26, 2014
Each year since 1999, the ‘Kargil Vijay Diwas’ is celebrated on July 26 every year to mark the exit of Pakistan Army from Indian territory and Indian Army bunkers captured by them.
On `Vijay Diwas` the nation remembers the soldiers who laid down their lives in the cold desert of Ladakh, fighting to reclaim every inch of their motherland.
Fought under the NDA government led by the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the Kargil conflict was the most serious military engagement between the two neighbours since the war of 1971 that resulted in the division of Pakistan into two countries and the creation of Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack