National Advisory Council to work on Lokpal bill
New Delhi: The National Advisory Council (NAC) led by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi will examine the proposed draft Lokpal bill and submit its recommendations to the government.
NAC`s working group on transparency and accountability,
in a meeting held yesterday, decided that it will take up the
Lokpal bill, a member of the council told a news agency.
A Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Pranab Mukherjee is
presently working on the dynamics of the bill.
"Corruption is a boiling issue right now. The president
of the council (Sonia Gandhi) has given her nod for the
working group (on transparency and accountability) to study
the draft of the bill and submit its suggestions," said the
A committee of secretaries is also working on the Lokpal
bill under the cabinet secretary.
President Pratibha Patil, in her address to the joint
session of the Parliament on February 21, had also stressed on
the need for transparency and integrity in the functioning of
The bill is an attempt by the government, under massive
pressure due to corruption charges, to gain some of its lost
Civil rights activists, including Anna Hazare, Swami
Agnivesh, Kiran Bedi and Arvind Kejriwal, have termed the
draft legislation as weak and demanded that fifty percent of
the members in the committee drafting the bill should be
from the public.
The working group on transparency and accountability of
NAC will also work on the issues related with the Mahatma
Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, said the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa