National Advisory Council to work on Lokpal bill
New Delhi: The National Advisory Council (NAC) led by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi will examine the proposed draft Lokpal bill and submit its recommendations to the government.
NAC`s working group on transparency and accountability,
in a meeting held yesterday, decided that it will take up the
Lokpal bill, a member of the council told a news agency.
A Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Pranab Mukherjee is
presently working on the dynamics of the bill.
"Corruption is a boiling issue right now. The president
of the council (Sonia Gandhi) has given her nod for the
working group (on transparency and accountability) to study
the draft of the bill and submit its suggestions," said the
A committee of secretaries is also working on the Lokpal
bill under the cabinet secretary.
President Pratibha Patil, in her address to the joint
session of the Parliament on February 21, had also stressed on
the need for transparency and integrity in the functioning of
The bill is an attempt by the government, under massive
pressure due to corruption charges, to gain some of its lost
Civil rights activists, including Anna Hazare, Swami
Agnivesh, Kiran Bedi and Arvind Kejriwal, have termed the
draft legislation as weak and demanded that fifty percent of
the members in the committee drafting the bill should be
from the public.
The working group on transparency and accountability of
NAC will also work on the issues related with the Mahatma
Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, said the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?