National Anthem not rendered at PM`s function
Kochi: BJP on Friday took exception to the
national anthem not being played at a function attended by
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to commission the first phase of
the International Container Trans-shipment Terminal at
Vallarpadam, near Kochi.
Neither was the traditional lamp lit nor the national
anthem rendered and "the people concerned should explain
this", BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters in Kochi.
Sources in the Cochin Port Trust, which organised Friday’s
function, said the programme had been cut short as Singh, had
to leave for Thiruvananthapuram.
The inaugural function of the first phase of the over Rs
3,200 crore terminal under the Cochin Port expansion project,
lasted only 40 minutes and the national anthem was not
planned, they said.
They also pointed out there was no compulsion that the
national anthem should be played at the Prime Minister`s
function. Only in the functions attended by the President, the
national anthem has to be rendered, the sources said,
adding even the vote of thanks was dispensed with.
Meanwhile, Fisheries Minister S Sharma and Transport
Minister Jose Thettayil alleged that the state government was
not given the due importance at the function.
The state ministers were not allowed to sit on the stage
while only Central ministers were allowed along with Kerala
Governor, R S Gavai, Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan and UAE
Minister of Foreign Trade Sheika Lubna Al Qasimi.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan