National Aviation University Bill in LS
New Delhi: The first-ever national aviation university in the country named after Rajiv Gandhi to train pilots, cabin crew and aircraft engineers would come up at Sonia Gandhi`s constituency of Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh.
The Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University Bill, 2013 was introduced today in Lok Sabha when the nation commemorated the 69th birth anniversary of the former Prime Minister who was earlier a pilot with the erstwhile Indian Airlines.
The Bill, introduced by Minister of State for Civil Aviation KC Venugopal, provides for creation of this central university on a 26 acre plot of land at the Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Udaan Academy at Fursatganj in Rae Bareli.
The university, an autonomous body under administrative control of the Civil Aviation Ministry, would have an estimated funding of Rs 202 crore during the 12th Plan period, of which Rs 80 crore has already been sanctioned by the Centre.
The need for the university was felt due to the "marked absence of credible institutions imparting specialised technical and managerial training in air transportation, safety, security and regulatory areas," the bill`s Statement of Objects and Reasons said.
"The opportunity cost of not investing in human resources required for the civil aviation sector in India at this juncture would result in reduced growth, increased cost of operations, compromise on safety and missed opportunities," it pointed out.
The varsity would promote aviation studies, training and research with focus on emerging areas like aviation management, aviation regulation and policy, aviation history, aviation science and engineering, aviation law, aviation safety and security and aviation medicine.
As there was a sizeable number institutions providing flying training, there was a need to standardise the quality of such education and training through affiliation and academic supervision by a central university, the statement said.
The MK Kaw Committee had recommended the setting up of such a university in 2006. Later, the 12th Plan document had also made a similar, with the Planning Commission granting in-principle approval to the Detailed Project Report submitted by the Civil Aviation Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing