National Commission to rehabilitate land losers: Sonia
Ghatsila (Jharkhand): The UPA government
has decided to form a National Rehabilitation Commission to
ensure adequate compensation and proper rehabilitation to
people willing to part with their land for development,
Congress president Sonia Gandhi said on Tuesday.
"The commission would ensure that villagers who are
willing to part with their land for development were
compensated adequately and rehabilitated properly," she said.
"We want development but not at the cost of
displacement of tribals," Gandhi said while addressing a
election meeting here in East Singhbhum district in support of
party candidates including JPCC chief Pradip Kumar Balmuchu,
who is seeking re-election from Ghatsila (reserved)
Referring to the prevailing Naxal activities, she said
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has already said development
work and law and order machinery will go along simultaneously.
The UPA government was ready for talks with Naxal
outfits to find out an amicable solution to their problems but
they would have to shun violence first, the AICC chief said.
Gandhi said the Congress was committed to development
and maintaining peace so that benefits of various schemes
reach the poor and tribals of the country.
But opposition parties did not have the will power to
carry out development and that was why they indulged in
driving wedges within society on caste, religion and regional
lines to gain political mileage, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre