National Counter Terror Centre may get cabinet nod in December
New Delhi: A US-type National Counter
Terrorism Centre (NCTC), which will collect and disseminate
terror-related information and monitor dubious financial
transactions, is likely to come for Union Cabinet`s approval
in December this year.
The Home Ministry which has planned it to be operational
in the country in the next five years, is likely to moot the
proposal before the cabinet in December.
"We have a long-term plan for a dedicated security
network. We are planning to convert MAC (Multi-Agency Centre)
into full-fledged NCTC in next five years," a senior Home
Ministry official said.
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said "If the US can have
a National Counter-Terrorism Centre, why can`t we have one in
India which will enhance our security and efficiency".
NCTC serves as the primary organisation in the US for
integrating and analysing all intelligence pertaining to
The MAC, which was strengthened following the Mumbai
attacks, has started serving as the nodal centre for
collecting and disseminating intelligence in India.
The recommendation for setting up the NCTC was made by
the task force on "developing an integrated capability to
address internal security challenges" headed by National
Security Adviser M K Narayanan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof