`National Girl Child Day` being observed today
New Delhi: ``National Girl Child Day`` is being observed on Thursday.
Ministry of Women and Child Development has been taking a multi pronged approach to address and reverse the trend of declining child sex ratio in the country.
The objective of all these initiatives is to work towards ensuring that girls are born, loved and nurtured and grow up to become empowered citizens of this country with equal rights and opportunities.
As part of the activities being undertaken to celebrate the National Girl Child Day, a nation-wide slogan writing competition amongst high school children in the age group of 14-18 years is being organised by the National Mission for Empowerment of Women under the aegis of the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
The objective of organizing this competition is to let students suggest a fresh mnemonic through the slogans for the theme "save the girl child``.
The slogan should reflect the larger concern of gender equity and empowerment of girls in a rights based approach.
The Government of India in 2008 declared January 24 of every year to be celebrated as the ``National Girl Child Day`` with the objective of raising consciousness of the society towards the girl child so that she can be valued and respected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Facebook video row: 'Made no mistake,' says Bhagwant Mann in 5-page letter to parliamentary panel
- 'Lights Out' sequel in works
- Damn funny! This is how every rich girl in the world is like—Watch video
- West Indies vs India: We need to work hard to make series even, says Phil Simmons
- Lindsay told me she's pregnant: Father