`National Girl Child Day` being observed today
New Delhi: ``National Girl Child Day`` is being observed on Thursday.
Ministry of Women and Child Development has been taking a multi pronged approach to address and reverse the trend of declining child sex ratio in the country.
The objective of all these initiatives is to work towards ensuring that girls are born, loved and nurtured and grow up to become empowered citizens of this country with equal rights and opportunities.
As part of the activities being undertaken to celebrate the National Girl Child Day, a nation-wide slogan writing competition amongst high school children in the age group of 14-18 years is being organised by the National Mission for Empowerment of Women under the aegis of the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
The objective of organizing this competition is to let students suggest a fresh mnemonic through the slogans for the theme "save the girl child``.
The slogan should reflect the larger concern of gender equity and empowerment of girls in a rights based approach.
The Government of India in 2008 declared January 24 of every year to be celebrated as the ``National Girl Child Day`` with the objective of raising consciousness of the society towards the girl child so that she can be valued and respected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video