‘National judicial service’ faces roadblocks
New Delhi: The Centre`s plan to create a national level judicial service, on the pattern of the All India Civil Services, is facing roadblocks due to lack of unanimity among states.
The plan is based on the recommendation of the department-related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice.
Sources in the Law Ministry said at least 13 of the 21 high courts have expressed reservation about having an all-India judicial service.
Language barrier and differences in syllabi of various universities which could put students of some states at disadvantage over others have been cited as reasons behind having an all-India service.
"The issue of an all-India judicial service came up for discussions. But there was no unanimity as the various states and their high courts have their own views...the debate will continue. We do not wish to impose ourselves," Law Minister M Veerappa Moily had said after a regional meeting of six states and High Courts here recently.
In at least two judgements delivered in the early 1990s, the Supreme Court had recommended setting up of an all-India judicial service.
The Department of Justice in the Law Ministry has now prepared a consultation paper on the issue and is likely to circulate it among the stakeholders in coming days.
In its 15th report, tabled in May 2006, the committee had asked the Law Ministry to expedite steps to set up all-India judicial services to appoint district-level judges.
As of now, while most government departments have all-India service recruits, selected after the all-India competitive examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) every year, judiciary is the only set-up that doesn`t have such a selection process.
Almost all states have their own state-level judicial services, with successful candidates constituting the bulk of the subordinate judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly