National monitoring panel`s decision on cartoons to be final
New Delhi: Amid a row over Ambedkar`s cartoon in a textbook, NCERT on Saturday said it used such illustrations as "good pedagogical tools" but maintained that the decision of national monitoring committee in this regard would be final.
"What the national monitoring committee decides will be an all round decision. The books will not be affected and will come out on time," NCERT director Pravin Sinclair said.
The committee, which meets here on July 14, will examine the recommendations of the Thorat panel set up to study the cartoon of class IX-XII political science text books following the cartoon row.
The panel report has, however, been opposed in sections of the academia and by one of the panel members -- M S S Pandian-- who found nothing inappropriate in the book.
"NCERT put the cartoons because it believed those are good pedagogical tools. But we dont want people to be hurt. whether they are hurt or not we need a detailed feedback," Sinclair told a private TV channel.
She said before releasing the books, they were tried among the students on a small scale and as a quick trial. "There was positive feedbacks and thats why they (the textbook committee) created the whole set," she said.
Sources, on the other hand, said NCERT has made up its mind about removing the two cartoons which invited controversy though a final view would be taken only after the forthcoming meeting of the national monitoring committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor