National Police Academy set to have first woman boss
New Delhi: National Police Academy, the Hyderabad-based alma mater for IPS officers in the country, could soon get a woman chief for the first time in its history.
Aruna Bahuguna, a 1979-batch IPS officer, is tipped to be appointed as the new director of the 65-year-old institution, also known as the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA), which is tasked with the training of police leaders.
Bahuguna (56), who belongs to the Andhra Pradesh cadre, is at present posted as the Special Director General in the country`s largest paramilitary force, CRPF, at its headquarters in the national capital.
The orders for Bahuguna`s appointment as the new director of the academy would be issued soon, sources said.
The officer, who has served in various positions with Andhra Pradesh police, also holds the distinction of being the first woman SDG in CRPF. She is the second-in-command of the 3 lakh strong force, after the DG.
The post of NPA Director fell vacant after incumbent Subhas Goswami was last month appointed as the DG of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
Reputed police officers like Sankar Sen, Trinath Mishra and K Vijay Kumar have earlier headed the NPA. Once appointed, Bahuguna would be the 28th boss of the academy.
The high-level board of the NPA comprises senior civil servants, police officers and eminent educationists as its members and is headed by the Union Home Secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened