`Nations need to join hands to resolve water woes`
New Delhi: Warning that water disputes
could lead to another World War, former Chief Justice JS Verma Friday said countries sharing the same ecology should forget boundaries and join hands to resolve issues related to
"For quite some time it is being said, I hope it`s not
believed, that the World War-3 would take place over water
disputes. Now when people have even started thinking in this
fashion that shows the possibility of such conflict and also
the significance of water.
"It has now become necessary to focus on finding
alternatives to avoid what is being apprehended," Verma said
addressing a conference on `River Waters: Perspectives and
Challenges for Asia` here.
The former CJI said that it was in the "common
interest" of the countries in the region to formulate,
propagate, and devise non-violent alternatives for resolving
Asked about how India could go about to resolve its water
disputes with its neighbours, Verma said, "It`s time when
the countries that share same ecology shared more information
on water issues and forgot the boundaries so far as natural
resources are concerned.
"Because nature doesn`t know any boundaries, it is the
politics that divides," he said.
Isabel Hilton, Editor of China Dialogue, an
independent, non-profit organisation, said that despite the
abundant evidence of growing scarcity and uncertainty, people
continue to waste the region`s water "on truly breathtaking
"Nearly half of Delhi`s water runs to waste. In
Afghanistan, as much as 77 per cent water is lost due to bad
maintenance and collapsing infrastructure. In Central Asia
nearly 80 per cent water is being wasted. It could have
serious consequences for all of us," Hilton said.
She said though the countries have got technical means
to take corrective measures for preserving the natural
resource, it is not happening due to lack of political will
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22