Natwar Singh`s “pique and antagonism” against Gandhi family on display: Congress
New Delhi: Hitting back at Natwar Singh, Congress on Friday said his "pique and antagonism" against the Gandhi family were on display because he was asked to resign from the Cabinet in the wake of the Volcker report on Iraqi food-for-oil scam.
Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters that the Volcker report had concluded that Singh`s family were non-contractual (corrupt) beneficiaries" of the Iraqi oil-for- food programmes.
Singhvi dwelt at length at the AICC briefing on the food-for-oil scam involving Singh to highlight the former Union Minister`s "pique and the underlying antagonism" against the Congress leadership, which, he said is the "subtext" of his proposed book.
Noting that Congress could understand the attitude of Singh, he wondered what was the alternative with the UPA-I government and with Congress party in the light of what has been written in the Volcker Report.
He said the UPA-I government and Congress took an "uncompromising stand and it was a clearly principled stand when Natwar Singh was asked to resign from the Council of Ministers and of course later from CWC."
Both the government and the party had "no option but to take serious cognizance of the extremely serious findings of the so-called Volcker committee to investigate the so-called UN oil-for-food programme."
He said the Volcker committee report said on 27.10.2005 that Natwar Singh`s family were non-contractual (corrupt) beneficiaries of the oil-for-food programmes.
The Justice R S Pathak Committee, which later went into the matter, found it to be "entirely an individual enterprise and adventure of Mr Natwar Singh and family. And there was therefore no option but to take the action which was taken.".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened