Naval Chief in US, to call for more global co-op
New Delhi: Efforts to secure the safety of
international sea lanes against piracy through greater global cooperation will be the focus of Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma`s address at a premier symposium in the US tomorrow.
"Navy Chief would address the inaugural session of the
Symposium on issue of piracy and would suggest ways to deal
with it. While talking about efforts made by Indian Navy in
piracy infested regions, he would talk about international
cooperation in this area," Navy officials said here today.
The three-day biannual `International Sea-Power
Symposium-2011` will be attended by 48 countries and several
important issues related to naval operations and safety and
security in the sea would come up for discussion, they said.
It will be held tomorrow at the Naval War College in the US.
Admiral Verma is also expected to meet top officials of US Navy and other naval powers to discuss latest maritime issues.
With almost all the world`s big naval powers represented
at the symposium, ISS provides an opportunity for naval
leaders to meet, compare ideas and enhance trust and
confidence by discussing common maritime challenges and
The objective of the symposium is to promote greater
maritime security cooperation between the navies by sharing
their knowhow and experiences.
Indian Navy has been instrumental in safeguarding one of
the most important maritime routes passing through Indian
Ocean Region (IOR) and the piracy-infested region in Gulf of
Indian naval vessels have been providing escort service
to merchant ships passing through this area and have various
successful anti-piracy operations to their credit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog