Naval exercise `Varuna 10` starts today
New Delhi: A French Carrier Strike Group, including a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and submarines, will take part in the bilateral naval exercise `Varuna 10` with the Indian Navy starting on Friday off the west coast in Arabian sea.
"In this edition of Varuna, the French Navy will be represented by ships from the French Carrier Strike Group including the aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle, destroyers FNS Forbin and FNS Tourville, supply ship FNS Meuse and nuclear powered submarine FNS Amethyste," Navy officials said here.
The aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle will be carrying its complement of fighter aircraft, Rafale and Super Etendard, airborne early warning aircraft E2C Hawkeye and integral helicopters, they added.
In the exercise, the Indian Navy will match the French Navy with its only aircraft carrier INS Viraat, two indigenous frigates INS Godavari and INS Ganga and one Shishumar class submarine, INS Shalki along with the Sea Harrier fighters.
The harbour phase of the exercise is scheduled from January 7 to 10 and the sea phase will be conducted in the Arabian Sea from January 11 to 14, they said.
The scope of Varuna 10 includes the entire gamut of maritime operations ranging from Aircraft Carrier Operations, anti-submarine warfare operations and maritime interdiction operations exercises, they added.
Till date, eleven such exercises have been conducted. The last exercise Varuna 09 was conducted off the coast of Brest in France from 27 June to July 4 to coincide with the
overseas deployment of Indian navy ships to the Mediterranean and Atlantic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa's mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what