Naval preparedness being strengthened: Navy Chief
Dehradun: Against the backdrop of stepped up maritime activities by China, India`s Navy Chief admiral DK Joshi has said the country`s naval preparedness is being strengthened to deal with any situation.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of the 32nd International Cartographic Congress here yesterday, Admiral Joshi said, "We have commissioned a naval airbase near Andaman and a naval base in Lakshadweep to meet any eventuality."
He also said India will soon make an indigenous nuclear submarine which will take the country`s defence systems to a whole new level.
However, India`s maritime build-up is not related to country-specific issues, he clarified.
He said the induction of Russian aircraft carrier Gorshkov has been delayed and it will now reach Indian shores towards the close of 2013.
The induction of 45 more ships and submarines in the future will further strengthen the Indian Navy which has been ranked 5th in the world by a US website, he said.
Claiming that the area of disagreement with Pakistan on the vexed Sir Creek issue is gradually narrowing down, he expressed hope that it will be resolved through negotiations.
On the shortage of officers in the navy, he said a new naval academy has been set up in Kerala to help overcome the problem.
Joshi, who hails from Dehradun and was on his first visit to the city after taking over as the Indian Navy Chief, said he plans to settle down in the city after his retirement as he finds peace here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'