Naval War Room case: CBI seeks US lawyer`s help
New Delhi: The CBI has sought documents related to the escrow account of New York-based firm, an alleged front company of naval war room leak case accused Abhishek Verma, from a US-based attorney who had run this account for several years.
The agency has deputed DIG Praveer Ranjan to coordinate with lawyer C Edmond Allen and get details about the account which he used to operate on behalf of Verma.
CBI sources said the agency is trying to decipher the money trail involved in the defence deals in which Verma is said to have given kick-backs to army officials.
The agency sources said that Allen has been asked to submit details of nearly US dollars 83,000 deposited in the escrow account in the form of securities.
An escrow account is a separate bank account for keeping money that is the property of others. Lawyers keep the escrow account to avoid mingling of client`s money with their own funds.
They said some portion of the amount, USD 20,000 was remitted to the company headed by Verma Atlas Telecom Services through a New York bank.
Allen, who was the lawyer of Verma, had provided information about the alleged corruption in defence deals to team Anna member Prashant Bhushan recently.
They said getting details of transaction routed through the escrow account will give the agency a clear picture of money trail in cases involving Verma which included the Naval War Room case.
During the probe of the case, CBI has said that Verma was allegedly representing Atlas group in India.
It had claimed in its charge sheet that Verma had allegedly received over Rs six crore to grease the palms of defence officials to extract information about defence deals in the pipeline.
Sources said Verma had resigned from the group after the naval war room case was exposed in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17