Naval War Room leak: CBI team to leave for London
New Delhi: The CBI will soon send its team, along with a cyber expert, to London to assist the UK`s law officers in seeking extradition of Ravi Shankaran, the main
accused in the Naval War Room leak case.
A Westminster court has fixed October 10 as the next date of hearing on India`s plea for seeking extradition of 46-year-old Shankaran, who was arrested in London last year on the basis of Interpol Red Corner notice secured against him by
Shankaran, whose passport was revoked by the Ministry of External Affairs on May 1, 2006, has been evading arrest in connection with the Naval War room leak case for over five years now. As the case was handed over to the CBI, Shankaran,
kin of former Naval Chief Arun Prakash, had fled the country.
Highly-placed sources in the CBI said a team along with a cyber expert, who helped the probe agency in forensic examination of the computers seized from the war room, would be sent to London to assist the Crown Prosecution Services
which is pleading the case on behalf of India in the London court.
Shankaran was facing extradition trial for allegedly committing cheating and forgery. However, the Official Secrets Act had not been invoked while seeking his return from London as it was not admissible under the UK`s legal system.
His counsel had raised doubts about an e-mail with an attachment of Sir Creek sent by Commander Virender Rana to a person called Vic Branson of Inmaty company in Belgium, which they claimed was owned by Shankaran.
The court-approved forensic experts, as quoted by the accused’s counsel, had claimed that the alleged e-mail by Vic Branson to Rana had no date and time and an independent court approved expert has confirmed that it is not possible to
create an email, type 11 words, attach 8 documents and then save it all in 2 seconds only.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP