Naval war room leak: UK authorities orders extradition of Ravi Shankaran

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 21:38

New Delhi: British authorities on Tuesday ordered extradition of one of the main Naval war room leak accused Ravi Shankaran to India to face trial (rpt) trial, a move that may expedite court proceedings pending for several months.

UK Home Secretary Theresa May issued the orders for his extradition to India and facing trial but gave Shankaran, close relative of former Naval Chief Admiral Arun Prakash, 14 days of time to file an appeal in the case, CBI said.

The order came exactly two months after a British court rejected the appeal by Shankaran against his extradition.

CBI, while pressing for his extradition, had assured the Westminster Magistrates Court in Britain that his bail will not be opposed once he is brought back to face trial.

The 49-year-old Shankaran had listed denial of bail in India among the reasons for opposing his extradition to this country, sources said.

However, after the court was given assurance, District Judge Nicholas Evans had ruled that "a case to answer has been made out" against the accused and that the UK Home Secretary may make the final decision on issuing an extradition order.

The CBI plans to send a team to the UK to bring him back once all legal formalities of that country are completed as Shankaran, against whom an Interpol Red Corner notice had also been issued, may be opposing the decision of the British Home Secretary in the court there.

About giving an assurance, the CBI justified it by saying that he had been named in a charge sheet and all he required was to face the trial.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 21:38

comments powered by Disqus