Naveen demands Rs 1,397 crore aid for festival
Bhubaneswar: Keeping in view the massive arrangement required for Lord Jagannath`s `Nabakalebara` festival in 2015, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday sought Special Central Assistance of Rs 1,397 crore from Planning Commission.
"I seek your personal intervention for the support of the Planning Commission for this important religious and cultural event of Eastern India," Patnaik wrote to Planning Commission deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
The projected requirement of funds for developmental works to be taken up in view of Nabakalebara festival is around Rs 1,397 crore, Patnaik said.
"The state government was gearing up for this momentous occasion when around 50 lakh pilgrims, visitors and tourists are expected to congregate at Puri town," he said.
Patnaik told the Planning Commission that this religious and cultural event takes place every 12 to 19 years when deities leave their old form and assume new forms.
"It is a ritual followed for centuries and the grandest of all ceremonies associated with Jagannath Temple," he said.
Stating that the next Nabakalebara was scheduled in 2015 after a period of 19 years, Patnaik said the event would continue for three months during which a number of religious activities are organised simultaneously all over Puri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter