Naveen demands Rs 1,397 crore aid for festival
Bhubaneswar: Keeping in view the massive arrangement required for Lord Jagannath`s `Nabakalebara` festival in 2015, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday sought Special Central Assistance of Rs 1,397 crore from Planning Commission.
"I seek your personal intervention for the support of the Planning Commission for this important religious and cultural event of Eastern India," Patnaik wrote to Planning Commission deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
The projected requirement of funds for developmental works to be taken up in view of Nabakalebara festival is around Rs 1,397 crore, Patnaik said.
"The state government was gearing up for this momentous occasion when around 50 lakh pilgrims, visitors and tourists are expected to congregate at Puri town," he said.
Patnaik told the Planning Commission that this religious and cultural event takes place every 12 to 19 years when deities leave their old form and assume new forms.
"It is a ritual followed for centuries and the grandest of all ceremonies associated with Jagannath Temple," he said.
Stating that the next Nabakalebara was scheduled in 2015 after a period of 19 years, Patnaik said the event would continue for three months during which a number of religious activities are organised simultaneously all over Puri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!