Naveen Patnaik mourns Mandela`s death
Bhubaneswar: A host of leaders in Odisha including Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday mourned the death of Nelson Mandela hailing him as a symbol of anti-apartheid who dedicated his life to fight injustice and racial discrimination.
"He (Mandela) was a great advocate of humanism and a symbol of struggle for justice, service, dedication and sacrifice," Patnaik said, paying tribute to the South African leader in a message.
Stating that Mandela had strong faith in Ganjhiji`s belief in truth and non-violence, Patnaik said in his death the world has lost a great Gandhian.
Congress stalwart and leader of opposition in Odisha assembly, Bhupinder Singh described Mandela as a great revolutionary and said he was imprisoned for 27 years during his struggle against the policy of apartheid.
Stating that Mandela was actually a humanist having faith in non-violence, Singh said he was a great follower of Mahatma Gandhi`s non-violence for which he was endeared to India.
CPI state secretary Dibakar Nayak said Mandela would be remembered for his battle against apartheid, while CPI-M state unit said in a statement that the world has lost a great leader who dedicated his life for the fight against racial discrimination.
As a unique tribute to the South African leader, internationally-acclaimed sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik created a 5-ft high sand sculpture of Nelson Mandela with a message "Tribute to Mandela" at Puri beach.
Sudarsan used 3 tonnes of sand and took 5 hours to create this sculpture. Many visitors gathered at Puri beach to give tribute to Madiba.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016