‘Navi Mumbai airport only at the proposed site’
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Friday
said Navi Mumbai airport will come up at its proposed site and
hoped that all environment related issues will be sorted out.
"As of now the Navi Mumbai airport will come up at the
proposed site. Mumbai definitely needs a second airport in
view of the increasing air traffic," Chavan said addressing an
event organised by Federation of Indian Chambers and Commerce
However, there are certain environmental concerns which
need to be addressed, he said.
"We will do whatever we can do, but 100 per cent
compliance is difficult," he added.
The Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) team met Chavan in
the morning to discuss the issue. The EAC had also visited the
site two days ago for inspection.
Chavan would be meeting Union Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh to talk about the issue soon.
The state Government was positive towards the project
after discussing the matter with the EAC yesterday.
The environmental objections raised earlier about the
site of the airport and the revised plan submitted by the City
and Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra (CIDCO),
the developing authority were discussed in the meeting.
The environment ministry and aviation ministry have been
at loggerheads over the delay in environmental clearance to
the Navi Mumbai airport.
According to the environment ministry, the construction
of airport at the proposed site will lead to destruction of
mangrove forest and diversion of two small rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them