Navy begins month-long war drills off the East Coast
New Delhi: Nuclear submarine INS Chakra and the newly-inducted P-8I anti-submarine warfare aircraft are taking part in Navy`s month-long wargames which started on Thursday along the Eastern seaboard near Vishakhapatnam.
During the exercise, both the Eastern and the Western fleet ships and assets are taking part in a networked environment after the launch of a surveillance satellite of the Navy, Naval officials said here.
"Navy Chief Admiral D K Joshi along with Eastern naval Commander Vice Admiral Anil Chopra embarked the combined fleets at sea off the East coast today," a Navy release said.
Amongst the large number of participating units are the Aircraft Carrier INS Viraat and the nuclear submarine INS Chakra.
"The exercise will be conducted against the backdrop of two completely networked fleets, widely dispersed across the Indian Ocean Region, operating in a dense maritime environment," it said.
In the war drills, the Navy will carry out "missile, torpedo and gun-firing. This year`s exercise will witness the maiden participation of the recently acquired P8I maritime reconnaissance aircraft, as also the Hawk fighter trainer aircraft."
The Navy said it will deploy its UAVs and Airborne Early Warning helicopter along with Air-to-Air refueller aircraft, Jaguar and SU-30 combat aircraft of Air Force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official