`Navy committed to promote self reliance`
Kochi: Indian Navy was committed to promoting self reliance in military technology, Vice Admiral Satish Soni, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Southern Naval Command said on Friday.
Inaugurating a Naval technology seminar, organised by Bharat Electronics Limited at Southern Naval Command, he said the momentous economic growth of the nation has to be sustained by suitable security measures.
Accordingly, the Maritime Capabilities Perspective Plan lays down a force level of 200 ships, 600 aircraft and about 20 submarines apart from shore based assets and infrastructure said the Admiral.
Elaborating the increasing role of the Navy in the context, he said patrolling the region between east coast of Africa and the Malacca straits, frequent forays into the Gulf and Red Sea as also establishing a reach in the Mediterranean, South China Sea and beyond had become vital.
While lauding BEL for this customer engagement initiative, the Vice Admiral also sought good waterfront support infrastructure backed by a sound fault finding and repair system as well as adequate spares inventory.
Delivering the keynote address, Anil Kumar, Chairman and Managing Director, BEL, said the organisation was proud to partner Indian Navy’s blue water aspirations.
Three new Strategic Business Units (SBUs) for missiles, satellites and communication systems have been set up. The fruitful partnership with Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL) at Kochi had resulted in the production of a number of new generation sonars for the ships and submarines of the Navy, he said.
Coastal Surveillance System project by BEL has already been commissioned in Kerala, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Andhra. BEL is also involved in setting up similar infrastructure at Mauritius and Seychelles. Product support Centre for NPOL, Cochin Shipyard and Naval Ship Repair Yard Kochi is already functioning from KINFRA Kochi, he said.
A product exhibition showcasing various products of Bharat Electronics was inaugurated by Vice Admiral Soni on the occasion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed