`Navy committed to promote self reliance`
Kochi: Indian Navy was committed to promoting self reliance in military technology, Vice Admiral Satish Soni, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Southern Naval Command said on Friday.
Inaugurating a Naval technology seminar, organised by Bharat Electronics Limited at Southern Naval Command, he said the momentous economic growth of the nation has to be sustained by suitable security measures.
Accordingly, the Maritime Capabilities Perspective Plan lays down a force level of 200 ships, 600 aircraft and about 20 submarines apart from shore based assets and infrastructure said the Admiral.
Elaborating the increasing role of the Navy in the context, he said patrolling the region between east coast of Africa and the Malacca straits, frequent forays into the Gulf and Red Sea as also establishing a reach in the Mediterranean, South China Sea and beyond had become vital.
While lauding BEL for this customer engagement initiative, the Vice Admiral also sought good waterfront support infrastructure backed by a sound fault finding and repair system as well as adequate spares inventory.
Delivering the keynote address, Anil Kumar, Chairman and Managing Director, BEL, said the organisation was proud to partner Indian Navy’s blue water aspirations.
Three new Strategic Business Units (SBUs) for missiles, satellites and communication systems have been set up. The fruitful partnership with Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL) at Kochi had resulted in the production of a number of new generation sonars for the ships and submarines of the Navy, he said.
Coastal Surveillance System project by BEL has already been commissioned in Kerala, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Andhra. BEL is also involved in setting up similar infrastructure at Mauritius and Seychelles. Product support Centre for NPOL, Cochin Shipyard and Naval Ship Repair Yard Kochi is already functioning from KINFRA Kochi, he said.
A product exhibition showcasing various products of Bharat Electronics was inaugurated by Vice Admiral Soni on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh