`Navy committed to promote self reliance`
Kochi: Indian Navy was committed to promoting self reliance in military technology, Vice Admiral Satish Soni, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Southern Naval Command said on Friday.
Inaugurating a Naval technology seminar, organised by Bharat Electronics Limited at Southern Naval Command, he said the momentous economic growth of the nation has to be sustained by suitable security measures.
Accordingly, the Maritime Capabilities Perspective Plan lays down a force level of 200 ships, 600 aircraft and about 20 submarines apart from shore based assets and infrastructure said the Admiral.
Elaborating the increasing role of the Navy in the context, he said patrolling the region between east coast of Africa and the Malacca straits, frequent forays into the Gulf and Red Sea as also establishing a reach in the Mediterranean, South China Sea and beyond had become vital.
While lauding BEL for this customer engagement initiative, the Vice Admiral also sought good waterfront support infrastructure backed by a sound fault finding and repair system as well as adequate spares inventory.
Delivering the keynote address, Anil Kumar, Chairman and Managing Director, BEL, said the organisation was proud to partner Indian Navy’s blue water aspirations.
Three new Strategic Business Units (SBUs) for missiles, satellites and communication systems have been set up. The fruitful partnership with Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL) at Kochi had resulted in the production of a number of new generation sonars for the ships and submarines of the Navy, he said.
Coastal Surveillance System project by BEL has already been commissioned in Kerala, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Andhra. BEL is also involved in setting up similar infrastructure at Mauritius and Seychelles. Product support Centre for NPOL, Cochin Shipyard and Naval Ship Repair Yard Kochi is already functioning from KINFRA Kochi, he said.
A product exhibition showcasing various products of Bharat Electronics was inaugurated by Vice Admiral Soni on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception