Navy Day celebrated to mark 1971 victory
Chennai: The Indian Navy commemorated its
action on this day in 1971 at the Karachi Harbour during the
Indo-Pakistan war by celebrating Navy Day on Saturday.
Commodore Rajiv Girotra, Naval Officer-in-Charge (Tamil
Nadu and Puducherry) and Commanding Officers of ships based in
Chennai as well as retired Naval personnel placed wreaths at
the War Memorial here on the occasion.
"Each year the Indian Navy celebrates December 4 as Navy
Day to commemorate the victory of the 1971 war and the naval
action at Karachi Harbour on Dec 4, 1971, and respect the
martyrs of the war. This day the Indian Navy carried out one
of the most courageous, professional and ingenious operations
against our adversary," a Defence press release said.
As part of activities organised during Navy week, wives
of Naval personnel visited an old age home at Mylapore
orphanage at Karapakkam and distributed clothes and other
items to the inmates, the release said.
It added that the Navy would also organise a visit for
children with Down`s syndrome to its warship INS Chetlat on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred