Navy demonstrates operational capabilities
Kochi: The Southern Naval Command conducted an awe inspiring demonstration of its operational capabilities here on Saturday, with a broad range of operations displaying its flexibility and versatility.
The operations were included in the display within the limitations of shallow depths of the channel and high rise structures in the area, a Naval press release said.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy was the chief guest the event, where Kochi residents turned out in huge numbers.
Chandy was received at the venue by Vice-Admiral Satish Soni Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Southern Naval Command.
The function, organized as part of Navy Day celebrations, Egan with marine Commandos carrying out a simulated beach assault with the team leader coming ashore in combat rig to deliver the programme brochure to the Chief Guest.
Thereafter there was a fly past by Navy and Coast Guard aircraft, including the giant TU- 142 aircraft and IL-38. Demonstration of water sports, including waterskiing and jet skiing, and VBSS (Visit, Board, Search and Seize) operation were other displays which gave spectators a closer look at the versatility and dare devilry of the two maritime forces.
Helicopter demonstrations included the Seaking helicopter flying past the crowd with a Maruti Gypsy under slung, and STIE (Small Team Insertion and Extraction) operation where commandos were dropped and withdrawn from a hostile area and helobatics by two Chetak helicopters.
A Chetak helicopter demonstrated landing on the helicopter deck of a ship- INS Sutlej - which was underway.
Marine Commandos demonstration of a clandestine takeover of an enemy offshore installation and its destruction provided the viewers an explosive spectacle.
INS Kabra, INS Kalpeni and two Indian Coast Guard Fast Patrol Vessels demonstrated manoeuvring skills by turning on the spot several times in restricted waters of Kochi channel.
The final fly past was of all participating aircraft of INS Garuda in ANCHOR formation. After the `sunset ceremony,` which brought to an end the demonstration, Navy ships steamed past with their illumination lights switched on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!