Navy deploys another warship off Seychelles
New Delhi: Augmenting its anti-piracy operations, the Indian Navy is deploying another warship with marine commandos on board to combat pirates off the island nations of Seychelles and Mauritius, an official said Monday.
INS Savitri, an offshore patrol vessel, with a Chetak helicopter and marine commandos on board, "will conduct surveillance of the exclusive economic zones of Seychelles and Mauritius from November-end till early January 2010," said Indian Navy spokesperson Commander P.V.S. Satish.
INS Savitri will operate in close coordination with the ships and aircraft of the Seychelles Coast Guard and the Mauritian National Coast Guard.
"The presence of this ship will help in deterring piracy in these areas," Satish added.
Over the past few years, incidents of piracy in the Gulf of Aden, one of the busiest sea lanes, have registered an increase. More than 174 piracy attempts against the ships of various nationalities have taken place in the last one year in the Gulf of Aden and off the coast of Somalia.
To deter, dissuade and prevent piracy in the Gulf of Aden, an Indian naval ship has maintained presence in the Gulf of Aden since Oct 23, 2008.
"As a result of the effectiveness of warship patrols and escorts in the Gulf of Aden, pirates have shifted their attention to the area east of Somalia, also referred to as the Somalia Basin, and to the exclusive economic zones of Seychelles and Mauritius in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR)," the spokesperson added.
Apart from achieving considerable success in the Gulf of Aden, in April, the Indian Navy had foiled a piracy bid off Seychelles and arrested nine pirates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead