Navy, IAF on alert to meet any post-quake tsunami
New Delhi: The Indian Navy and Air Force
have put their warships and aircraft on a state of high alert
for carrying out relief and rescue operations in the event of
any possible post-quake tsunami situation.
The IAF has put two C-130J Hercules aircraft on `Hot
Stand-by mode` at the Hindon air base with 80 National
Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and will be flying for Port
Blair with 10 tonnes of relief equipment, IAF spokesperson Sqn
Ldr Priya Joshi said.
She said one Il-76 aircraft from Chandigarh and two AN-32
and Dornier aircraft are on stand by in southern sector for
disaster relief operations.
Earlier, defence sources had said the two aircraft would
be flying to Port Blair in a short while with NDRF personnel
and relief material on board.
The Navy on its part has put its warships and bases in
port Blair on high alert mode soon after the earthquake in
As a precautionary measure, all the warships deployed in
Port Blair were sailed out from the anchorage.
"Eastern Naval Command is also preparing with suitable
ships with disaster relief teams embarked to affected areas,
if required. Other naval ships in the Bay of Bengal have also
been alerted," Navy officials said here.
The relief material carried by the NDRF personnel would
include medicines, tents, blankets and sniffer dogs and search
and rescue equipment, they said.
A massive earthquake of 8.7 magnitude hit waters off
Indonesia triggering tsunami fears across the Indian Ocean
nations, including India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe