Navy, IAF on alert to meet any post-quake tsunami
New Delhi: The Indian Navy and Air Force
have put their warships and aircraft on a state of high alert
for carrying out relief and rescue operations in the event of
any possible post-quake tsunami situation.
The IAF has put two C-130J Hercules aircraft on `Hot
Stand-by mode` at the Hindon air base with 80 National
Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and will be flying for Port
Blair with 10 tonnes of relief equipment, IAF spokesperson Sqn
Ldr Priya Joshi said.
She said one Il-76 aircraft from Chandigarh and two AN-32
and Dornier aircraft are on stand by in southern sector for
disaster relief operations.
Earlier, defence sources had said the two aircraft would
be flying to Port Blair in a short while with NDRF personnel
and relief material on board.
The Navy on its part has put its warships and bases in
port Blair on high alert mode soon after the earthquake in
As a precautionary measure, all the warships deployed in
Port Blair were sailed out from the anchorage.
"Eastern Naval Command is also preparing with suitable
ships with disaster relief teams embarked to affected areas,
if required. Other naval ships in the Bay of Bengal have also
been alerted," Navy officials said here.
The relief material carried by the NDRF personnel would
include medicines, tents, blankets and sniffer dogs and search
and rescue equipment, they said.
A massive earthquake of 8.7 magnitude hit waters off
Indonesia triggering tsunami fears across the Indian Ocean
nations, including India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter