Navy intercepts fleeing vessel; FIR against crew

The Indian Navy is now escorting the rouge ship to the Mumbai port.

Zeenews Bureau

Mumbai: The Indian Navy on Tuesday intercepted a ‘suspect ‘Bahamas-flagged merchant vessel in international waters off Diu coast and after a standoff is now escorting the rouge ship to the Mumbai port.

An alert was sounded, following a police complaint that the ship named ‘Dynamic Striker’ had left the Mumbai port without completing necessary formalities and was heading in the north-westerly direction (towards Pakistani waters).

The Coast Guard tried to contact the ship’s captain, but, as per reports, there was no response from the ship’s deck, forcing them to requisition the services of the Navy to shadow the ship in the high waters.

Following which, INS Angre intercepted the ship in the international waters and as per the procedure, fired flares and ordered the ship to stop and turn back to Mumbai.

As per reports, the Dyananic Striker did not heed to the command, leading to the Indian Navy firing a warning shots in the air. Apparently, the ship’s crew got the message this time as they stopped the ship and turned back to Mumbai.

"Naval warship INS Angre fired warning shots ahead of
the fleeing merchant ship`s bow and stopped it. It is being
escorted back to Mumbai," a defence spokesperson said.

At the moment, the India Navy is said to be escorting the ship back to Mumbai port and will had it over to the Coast Guard for further investigation.

According to police, an FIR has been registered for
criminal breach of trust by carrier at the Yellow Gate Police
Station against the 22 crew members from Ukraine and Russia.

The vessel, with 34,752 metric tonnes of coal on
board, arrived at the Mumbai port on October 28 and it was
anchored there for unloading, police said.

"The buyer company, Ispat Industries, paid USD 1.7
million in instalments for coal and the last payment was made
yesterday," Assistant Inspector Milind Kurde at the Police
station said.

The coal was supposed to be unloaded here. However,
the vessel left the port without informing anybody following
which agents of the buyers complained to police and an alert
was sounded, Kurde said.

The ship crew will be questioned once the ship reaches
here, he said.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link