Navy intercepts pirate ship, 13 crew rescued
New Delhi: In a major operation, the
Indian Navy intercepted a pirate mother ship, rescuing 13 crew members, and arrested 61 Somali sea brigands about 600 nautical miles off the western coast.
"Vega 5, a pirate mother vessel, was intercepted by
a fast attack craft, INS Kalpeni. 61 pirates were apprehended
and 13 crew members rescued," a Navy spokesperson said here Monday.
The pirates and their ship were being brought to
Mumbai for further investigations, the spokesperson said.
Details including as to when the operation took place
were not immediately available.
INS Kalpeni was inducted into the navy in October
In January, the Navy under `Operation Island Watch`
had sunk two pirate mother ships and apprehended 43 pirates.
The pirates were questioned in Mumbai by intelligence
agencies for any possible terror links.
The operation apprehending 61 pirates comes after
the Cabinet Committee on Security on Friday last decided to
adopt a proactive approach in dealing with sea brigands, who
have held around 53 Indians as hostages in different hijacked
ships. Government had ruled out negotiations with the pirates.
The government is working on a tough law to deal
with the piracy problem.
At present, piracy is dealt with under the
provisions of the Indian Penal Code and century-old Admiralty
law but the government would like to have a separate statute
with provisions to effectively tackle the problem that takes
place far away from Indian shores.
The Navy has deployed three ships in the Gulf of Aden
and the Arabian Sea to deal with the piracy menace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi