Navy intercepts pirate ship, 13 crew rescued
New Delhi: In a major operation, the
Indian Navy intercepted a pirate mother ship, rescuing 13 crew members, and arrested 61 Somali sea brigands about 600 nautical miles off the western coast.
"Vega 5, a pirate mother vessel, was intercepted by
a fast attack craft, INS Kalpeni. 61 pirates were apprehended
and 13 crew members rescued," a Navy spokesperson said here Monday.
The pirates and their ship were being brought to
Mumbai for further investigations, the spokesperson said.
Details including as to when the operation took place
were not immediately available.
INS Kalpeni was inducted into the navy in October
In January, the Navy under `Operation Island Watch`
had sunk two pirate mother ships and apprehended 43 pirates.
The pirates were questioned in Mumbai by intelligence
agencies for any possible terror links.
The operation apprehending 61 pirates comes after
the Cabinet Committee on Security on Friday last decided to
adopt a proactive approach in dealing with sea brigands, who
have held around 53 Indians as hostages in different hijacked
ships. Government had ruled out negotiations with the pirates.
The government is working on a tough law to deal
with the piracy problem.
At present, piracy is dealt with under the
provisions of the Indian Penal Code and century-old Admiralty
law but the government would like to have a separate statute
with provisions to effectively tackle the problem that takes
place far away from Indian shores.
The Navy has deployed three ships in the Gulf of Aden
and the Arabian Sea to deal with the piracy menace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Triple treble: How Usain Bolt stormed to another set of gold medals at Rio Olympics – VIDEO
- Two reward-carrying women Naxals arrested; another surrenders
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Vs Redmi Note 3: Check out the differences
- Attack on American University in Afghanistan leaves 13 dead
- Confirmed! Ranveer Singh to play Khilji in 'Padmavati' opposite Deepika Padukone—Deets inside