Navy orders inquiry into warship accident
New Delhi: The Navy Monday ordered a Board of
Inquiry (BOI) to look into the reasons behind collision of one
of its warships with a merchant vessel in the Mumbai harbour
and explore its future operational worth.
The Navy has also lodged an FIR in Mumbai against the
cargo ship MV Nordalke which collided with the INS Vindhyagiri
in the harbour yesterday.
"An FIR has been lodged with Mumbai police and MV
Nordlake is held back in the Mumbai harbour. An inquiry is
being ordered onto the incident," Navy officials said here.
The BOI, they said, will also look into the reasons
behind the collision and assess the damage done to the ship.
It will also recommend if the ship was fit to be used again
for operations or not.
After the collision, the ship is lying on the sea bed in
the Naval dockyard and cannot sink completely as the water
level is very low there, they said.
Fire had engulfed INS Vindhyagiri after the accident and
due to a dent, water flooded it. Thereafter, it was safely
berthed alongside in the Naval harbour.
Taking safety precautions, all the ammunition on board
the warship was cleared and efforts were made by personnel
there to contain the fire and flooding on board, the officials
said. "Necessary measures have also been taken to prevent any
spillage of oil from the ship," they added.
Commissioned in 1981, the INS Vindhyagiri was a
fully-operational Leander-class frigate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31