Navy ship on anti-piracy mission to join Seychelles Day fete
New Delhi: An Indian Navy ship on an
anti-piracy mission in Seychelles waters at present will join
the celebrations of the island nation`s National Day tomorrow.
The ship, INS Trishul, will anchor off Seychelles and
join the events at sea and at the port there.
Trishul was in Seychelles for last one week to carry out
anti-piracy patrols in the nation`s Exclusive Economic Zone,
after having spent about three weeks in the Gulf of Aden on a
similar mission, a Navy officer said here today.
Before reaching Seychelles, the ship had carried out a
similar patrol in Mauritius waters for about a week.
Trishul has now been replaced by INS Mysore, a Delhi
class destroyer of the Indian Navy in Gulf of Aden since June
Trishul, a Talwar class frigate, had carried out
anti-piracy patrols on the Internationally Recommended Transit
Corridor (IRTC) in the Gulf of Aden for about a month and is
returning to Mumbai after stopovers at Mauritius and
Seychelles, the officer said.
Mysore, which has taken over from Trishul at Gulf of
Aden, has in the last one week carried out two transits up and
down the IRTC and has escorted 12 merchant vessels, flying
both Indian and foreign flags, during the period, he said.
India has deployed its warships in the Gulf of Aden since
October 2008 and in the last one-and-a-half years it has
escorted over 1,000 merchant vessels of which over 900 were
foreign flagged vessels.
Apart from India, NATO has deployed a Combined Task Force
of its member-nations comprising three or four warships
in the Gulf of Aden in anti-piracy roles, at any given time.
European Union`s NAVFOR, a naval force which has Pakistan
and Turkey navies too participating in the anti-piracy effort
in the Gulf of Aden, deploys another four or five warships at
all times to secure the sea lanes through the region.
China and a few more Asian nations too have deployed
their warships to fight the Somali sea brigands who had
captured several merchant vessels in the last few years and
held the crew of these vessels for ransom, badly hitting
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened