Navy ship on anti-piracy mission to join Seychelles Day fete
New Delhi: An Indian Navy ship on an
anti-piracy mission in Seychelles waters at present will join
the celebrations of the island nation`s National Day tomorrow.
The ship, INS Trishul, will anchor off Seychelles and
join the events at sea and at the port there.
Trishul was in Seychelles for last one week to carry out
anti-piracy patrols in the nation`s Exclusive Economic Zone,
after having spent about three weeks in the Gulf of Aden on a
similar mission, a Navy officer said here today.
Before reaching Seychelles, the ship had carried out a
similar patrol in Mauritius waters for about a week.
Trishul has now been replaced by INS Mysore, a Delhi
class destroyer of the Indian Navy in Gulf of Aden since June
Trishul, a Talwar class frigate, had carried out
anti-piracy patrols on the Internationally Recommended Transit
Corridor (IRTC) in the Gulf of Aden for about a month and is
returning to Mumbai after stopovers at Mauritius and
Seychelles, the officer said.
Mysore, which has taken over from Trishul at Gulf of
Aden, has in the last one week carried out two transits up and
down the IRTC and has escorted 12 merchant vessels, flying
both Indian and foreign flags, during the period, he said.
India has deployed its warships in the Gulf of Aden since
October 2008 and in the last one-and-a-half years it has
escorted over 1,000 merchant vessels of which over 900 were
foreign flagged vessels.
Apart from India, NATO has deployed a Combined Task Force
of its member-nations comprising three or four warships
in the Gulf of Aden in anti-piracy roles, at any given time.
European Union`s NAVFOR, a naval force which has Pakistan
and Turkey navies too participating in the anti-piracy effort
in the Gulf of Aden, deploys another four or five warships at
all times to secure the sea lanes through the region.
China and a few more Asian nations too have deployed
their warships to fight the Somali sea brigands who had
captured several merchant vessels in the last few years and
held the crew of these vessels for ransom, badly hitting
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video