Navy ship thwarts pirate attack on merchant vessel off Yemen
New Delhi: A pirate attack on a merchant
vessel in the Gulf of Aden has been thwarted by an Indian
warship, which intercepted a dhow with 31 sea brigands on
This is the 26th piracy attack that was prevented by the
Indian Navy in the two years that it is involved in
anti-piracy operations in the Arabian Sea, a Navy spokesperson
said here today.
"On December 8, in the Gulf of Aden, 166 km south of
Yemen, INS Investigator intercepted and disabled a dhow
carrying 31 personnel with piracy triggers," he said here in a
INS Investigator was on transit through the Gulf of Aden
when a distress call was received from MV Naftocement 18,
reporting that a dhow was attempting to close in on the ship.
The Indian warship took swift action to reach the spot
and launched its sailors to board the dhow. Investigations
revealed six skiffs with six Out Board Motors (OBMs), one
AK-47 with magazine and ammunition box, gas cylinders, fuel
and fresh water drums on board the dhow.
"All equipment was rendered unavailable and the dhow
disabled from launching possible piracy missions," he said.
At the same time INS Gomati deployed in Gulf of Aden for
anti-piracy efforts, was escorting other merchant vessels 110
km east of the incident.
"This incident marked the twenty-sixth instance of
successful disruption of piracy attempts by the Indian Navy
since the anti-piracy operations were commenced by its
warships in October 2008," he added.
Since late November this year, Navy has intensified
anti-piracy patrol east of Laskhadweep Islands through a
multi-warship deployment after there was a spurt in incidents
of pirate movements and in the process has chased out two
mother ships of the sea brigands, apart from apprehending 14
Pakistanis and five Iranians on a dhow sailing suspiciously in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok